AIMS OF THE ORGANIZATION
Since its foundation in 1968, GRT has been working with socially marginalized groups and individuals, being expression of cultural values outside dominant paradigms.
GRT' story is a journey through culture, enriched over the years (mainly in Nicaragua, Guatemala, Somalia, Nepal and Romania) through cooperation programs where local communities are supported in inventing and developing their own surviving strategies.
Walking along paths of desires together with local communities, efforts are made in trying to help them remaining protagonist of their history, without imposing western models, rather supporting the search for appropriate ways of belonging, claiming and acknowledgements.
The main fields of expertise and involvement are: Community Mental Health, Support for Ethnic Minorities, Traditional Medicine, Street Children and Migrations.
ORGANIZATION BACKGROUND IN THE SOMALI CONTEXT
GRT is an international humanitarian organization working in Somalia mainly in the fields of protection and mental health. The organization has been implementing UNHCR-funded projects on improving the response to protection risks faced by refugees, asylum seekers, migrants and IDP communities in North eastern Somalia through the provision of psychosocial support with a specific interest to children (formal and non formal Education, recreational activities, etc.). With the support of UNICEF, UNHCR, UNFPA and IOM, a GBV program (response and prevention) has also been implemented in Puntland. Within the framework of these programs, the organization seeks to fill the position of Protection Area Manager.
The Protection Area Manager will be responsible for the overall implementation of Protection programs in Puntland, together under the technical supervision of the Protection Coordinator based in Nairobi. With technical and managerial support, s/he will ensure that the goals and objectives of the interventions are met in a timely and effective manner.
· To assume primary responsibility for daily programme management and implementation of activities in the field, and ensure compliance with the objectives of the programme, work plan and spending plan.
· To perform regular monitoring visits to other project sites.
· To ensure that the staff (GRT and partners) provide appropriate services resulting in high quality assistance to beneficiaries.
· To provide mentoring and specific capacity-building for the staff including specific management skills as well as broadening skills in technical areas (case management, psychosocial support, referral mechanism, community-outreach and awareness-raising).
· To manage the programme budget in a timely manner in accordance with all GRT and donor programmatic and financial protocols and regulations
· To contribute to project proposal writing, to identify and elaborate new intervention on the basis of GRT strategies and in collaboration with GRT Regional Representative
· To fulfill all donors and GRT reporting requirements, ensure the timely preparation and of financial and narrative reports
· To ensure active collaboration, information sharing and joint meetings between the programme, local authorities and other stakeholders to identify and strengthen support for project activities and avoid duplication
· To participate in Nairobi to GRT general meetings, reviews, strategic planning and assist in preparation of new initiatives for the programme
REQUIRED QUALIFICATION AND COMPETENCIES:
· Master’s degree in psychology, in social work or other social sciences, gender/women studies, or other appropriate fields (or a Bachelor in related field with a long experience in a similar field);
· Excellent spoken and written English
· At least 3 years program management experience in the field of protection /or extremely vulnerable individuals in conflict-affected populations with international organizations;
· Proven high level skills in program coordination, management and supervision
· Experience in liaising with local authorities and relevant stakeholders
· Proven leadership, problem solving and conflict management skills
· Proven ability to work in a multidisciplinary team
· Excellent command of spoken and written English.
· Strong computer skills: must be competent in the use of Windows, MS office programs
· (Word, Excel), outlook.
· Report/proposal writing skills
· Excellent communication skills
· Independent and motivated to work in limited resource and insecure environment
· Strong negotiation, interpersonal and organization skills
· Flexible (ability to cope with stressful situations)
· Cultural and gender sensitivity, open-minded
· DESIRABLE COMPETENCIES
· Familiarity with transcultural /ethnopsychiatric approaches
· Ability to speak Somali and/or Italian language is an asset
· Previous experience and understanding of Somali context is advisable
How to apply
Please send motivation letter and CV with at least 3 references to the following email addresses:
Protection.firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.